Please or Register to create posts and topics.

EVC2S interfacing EVGA 1070 TI ftw2

Page 1 of 2Next

hi, i am new to using the EVC type modding and was wondering if someone can help me find the proper placement of the wires on my specific GPU?

thanks in advanced 

Uploaded files:
  • front.jpg
  • back.jpg

Hello 🙂

NCP81274 doesn't currently have a profile available in the software so it would help a lot of if you could hook up the EVC2 and provide a dump file from the card. It looks like it might not be possibly to adjust voltage using the digital interface. From what I can tell what's available is OCP, switching frequency, load-line adjustments and output current monitoring.  The pins on the controller you want to connect to are #34 (SDA) and #35 (SCL). I would suspect either J330 or J3301 breaks out those signals so checking if any of those pins are connected to the controller pins is a good idea.

Uploaded files:
  • evga_1080ti_ftw2.png
  • evga_1080ti_ftw2_header.png

bummer! i was hopping to take it to the limit before i upgrade to a 3080. i have it on chilled water with a shunt mod but i can only take it to 2150mhz. i'll definitely poke around with the voltmeter and see what i can get with the EVC2. do you have any recommendations for a great 3080 card that will work well with the EVC2? i was looking at the EVGA ftw ultra because i have had good experiences with EVGA.

Quote from high_bounce on 2020-10-21, 05:23

bummer! i was hopping to take it to the limit before i upgrade to a 3080. i have it on chilled water with a shunt mod but i can only take it to 2150mhz. i'll definitely poke around with the voltmeter and see what i can get with the EVC2. do you have any recommendations for a great 3080 card that will work well with the EVC2? i was looking at the EVGA ftw ultra because i have had good experiences with EVGA.

Yes, the lack of digital voltage control is a shame.

I went through all cards reviewed by TPU and checked the controller configurations. Anything that has uP9512 or MP2888 is a good candidate. uP9512 is limited to +150 mV offset, while MP2888 should be able to set pretty much any value. uP9511 is not digital and thus not supported.

ASUS TUF 3080 uses 3x uP9512 for Core/MSVDD/Memory for example, it also has a conveniently located header for connecting to.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/3.html

MSI 3080 Gaming X which has 2x uP9512 and NCP81611 (almost identical to NCP81274 with no voltage control over I2C) where uP9512 is probably for Core/MSVDD and NCP81611 for memory but MSVDD and memory could be swapped. It would require some work to figure out where to connect to it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-x-trio/3.html

The Founder's edition has MP2888 + MP2886 + MP2884 but again no clear connection point (debug header or similar). MP2888 is supported right now and I'm working on support for MP2886/MP2884.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/5.html

EVGA and Zotac both use uP9511 and are thus not good candidates. Palit uses NCP81610 + NCP81611 which as mentioned above have the same problem as NPC81274.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra/3.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/zotac-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity/3.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-pro-oc/3.html

darn EVGA! i have been using their stuff for years and its never let me down. i've had their FTW cards since the 970 days. under chilled water do you believe the ASUS TUF will be better or worse then the FE card with a EVC2?

i really appreciate your help in this 

Quote from high_bounce on 2020-10-21, 08:45

darn EVGA! i have been using their stuff for years and its never let me down. i've had their FTW cards since the 970 days. under chilled water do you believe the ASUS TUF will be better or worse then the FE card with a EVC2?

i really appreciate your help in this 

Other cards from those vendors might have more suitable controller configurations but TPU reviews are great for checking this and it's what was on there. Gigabyte for example only had a 3090 Eagle on there with 2x uP9512 + 1x uP9511 (probably 3080 Eagle is identical).

The TUF card should work great as long as +150mV is enough range for you. The FE would have more range but would require more work and soldering skills. Strix, HOF, Kingpin and similar cards should have all the knobs but they tend to be quite pricey 🙂

i would love a kingpin card but honestly for my usage even a 3080 is overkill. i currently use a 1080X2560 monitor probably upgrading to a 1440x3440 monitor i mainly play RPGs and MMOs. i really just like pushing my parts to the limit. i was thinking of going with the TUF since they change the caps on the back. i also hear that nvidia is keeping some of the best silicon for themselves. what would you go with under chilled water?

Quote from high_bounce on 2020-10-21, 11:27

i would love a kingpin card but honestly for my usage even a 3080 is overkill. i currently use a 1080X2560 monitor probably upgrading to a 1440x3440 monitor i mainly play RPGs and MMOs. i really just like pushing my parts to the limit. i was thinking of going with the TUF since they change the caps on the back. i also hear that nvidia is keeping some of the best silicon for themselves. what would you go with under chilled water?

From what I've seen the TUF has good reviews and it would be simple to use with the EVC2. For chilled water the voltage offset should be enough to max out the card and you'd have control of all major voltage items.

i was also thinking that the TUF would be simpler. maybe looking at the strix to if i can find a PCB shot and if it has the same spot for the pins. have you played around with the overclocking of a 3080? what do you think? i have been checking out TPU reviews and it looks like in their tests the ones that have a higher memory overclock get more FPS

sorry Elmor i tried poking around the board a bit but never found the right spots to solder. ended up killing the card or getting a short somewhere i cant find. it happens just need to wait for the 3080s to be in stock. thanks a gain for all your help

Page 1 of 2Next