You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Intersil HIP6301V / ABIT NF7-S 2.0

Hi there!

Thanks for giving us such a nice toy to play with. Recently I bought 3 EVCs for our small "hardware club" 🙂

I need some help here however. Having a lot of old hardware, I'm also trying to hook the EVC2 up to those boards as well. My prime subject for testing now was the ABIT NF7-S 2.0 which uses the Intersil HIP6301VCB voltage controller. See the attached datasheet of this chip please. 

So is there any way to integrate support for this chip into the EVC2 software? It would be so awesome and much appreciated. 

If you need any further information to make this happen, just let me know. I'm more than happy to do any testing if needed.

Cheers,
silentDUCK

Uploaded files:

Thank you for your patronage 🙂

On this older controller the only possibility to use the EVC2 is through connecting the VMOD header function. By connecting the SRCx pad to the FB pin of the VRM controller (pin#7) you should be able to adjust the output voltage. The VINx pad can be connected to a Vcore output capacitor for monitoring the output voltage.

edit: Further details on this function available here https://www.elmorlabs.com/index.php/forum/topic/evc2-vmod1-header-tutorial/

Alright, thanks for your quick response. Those boards however already do have an I2C connector port so I figured there would be an easy way to act on that controller since ABIT seemingly uses that very "protocol" as well for their uGuru live monitoring and overclocking solution. Would it be of any help to actually see what the EVC2 does when it's connected to that header? 

All later boards always have the I2C connector port present, so it should be of use for us, shouldn't it? I have attached the manual of the board for reference. Please see section 2-22 (page 32) for more detail on that port and how ABIT describes it. 

What do you think of it?

Uploaded files:
Quote from silentDUCK on 2020-06-30, 02:14

Alright, thanks for your quick response. Those boards however already do have an I2C connector port so I figured there would be an easy way to act on that controller since ABIT seemingly uses that very "protocol" as well for their uGuru live monitoring and overclocking solution. Would it be of any help to actually see what the EVC2 does when it's connected to that header? 

All later boards always have the I2C connector port present, so it should be of use for us, shouldn't it? I have attached the manual of the board for reference. Please see section 2-22 (page 32) for more detail on that port and how ABIT describes it. 

What do you think of it?

It seems the board has a header for connecting to the on-board SMBus (an I2C derivative). The VRM controller doesn't have any interface for control using I2C/SMBus, so it can't be accessed using this connector. The only possibility would be if there's a chip on the SMBus that is able to externally adjust the VRM controller voltage, similar to connecting it to the EVC2 VMOD header. I suppose you can send me a register dump when connected to it and I can see if there's anything familiar on there.

Perfect, will get that dump and then get back to you. Awesome support around here! 

Alright, here is the requested dump of the NF7-S 2.0. I don't understand anything of this so I hope you can do something with it 😀 

Thanks!

Uploaded files:
Quote from silentDUCK on 2020-06-30, 03:18

Alright, here is the requested dump of the NF7-S 2.0. I don't understand anything of this so I hope you can do something with it 😀 

Thanks!

All of the reads are False meaning the command failed. Not sure why that would be. 

The CVS file is structured as the header indicates:

Address,Cmd,Len,Result,Data

08,00,1,False,00

Address = 08 (hex)

Cmd = 00 (hex)

Length = 1 (byte)

Result = False

Data = 00 (hex, irrelevant since the command failed)

Alright, thank you very much. I think I made some progress. Now I tried ABIT AN7 and again on NF7-S and here we go... several commands now come back as "TRUE". So what can we do with that now? 🙂 

Uploaded files:

Hey elmor, 

so I just wanted to check if you've had the chance to take a look at the last dumps I provided? 

Thanks man! 

Hello, sorry I thought I replied to this. Yes I had a look and it's not really telling me much, there's nothing on there I'm familiar with.